Sunday, August 19, 2012

Little Blue Truck First Birthday Party

Yesterday was my nephew's first birthday party. I was so happy to contribute to the celebration by making a few things to add to the Little Blue Trucktheme.

I made a large Little Blue Truck photo booth prop. My sister ordered farm animal balloons from ebay, and we tried to set it up to look like the cover of the book.

My sister ordered a truck cookie cutter from Cheap Cookie Cutters, and I made sugar cookies. I used a great sugar cookie recipe from the awesome Two Gays Giving and the royal icing recipe from Wilton. Sweetapolita gave me great tips for making a perfect sugar cookies; I had no idea how important it is to keep the sugar cookie dough cold so that it doesn't spread while baking. I used an excellent post from the Sweet Adventures of Sugarbelle for lots of tips and tricks for icing the cookies.

I used one of the truck cookies on my tiered cake and hand cut the sugar cookie dough in the shapes of a toad, toad crossing sign, and birthday sign. I made the bottom tier of the cake three layers thick and carved it to look like the hills in the book. My sister bought Farm Animal Candles to come out from the bed of the pick up truck. Lastly, I used Wilton Edible Markers to write "Happy Birthday Vincent" on the iced sugar cookie and "Toad Crossing" on the sign. It was a hit.
What a wonderful party for a sweet little one-year-old!



8 comments:

  1. Wonderful ideas! Would you mind sharing the DIY details of the cardboard Little Blue Truck? What size cardboard did you use? Any other tips? I would love to do this for the kids at my son's birthday party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the photo booth you created. Did you use a projector to trace the image of the blue truck onto cardboard?

    Thinking of doing this for my daughter's 2nd birthday. Little Blue Truck is her favorite thing in the whole work right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone above has mentioned it and it can't hurt to do it yet again - great job! I'm doing this theme for my son's 2nd birthday in Feb and I would love to hear how you made the truck.

    Thanks for sharing the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I didn't use a projector to trace it, but that would have been a GREAT idea! I just sort of eye-balled it. The cardboard was a box from a big TV. I cut it open and painted the inside plain cardboard. It was probably about 4.5 feet wide and three feet tall without the wheels. I made the wheels separately and taped them on from the back with packing tape. I also cut out four right-triangles from the cardboard and taped them behind the wheels sticking out the back so that the truck would stay upright. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing! I am totally going to copy this. Would you mind giving a link to the seller where you got the balloons? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love thus idea! I am planning to use it for my sons 1st birthday at the end of the month. Where did you find the balloons?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in love with your truck cookies and no bakery in my town has a cookie cutter like the one you got. Unfortunately, cheap cookie cutters online is out of that one. This is totally random but any chance you would mail me yours and I'll pay you for it or mail it back. I am wanting to make cookies for my sons birthday next weekend! I have looked all over online and can't find one like it! My email is allisonfuehne@gmail.com if that would be a possibility!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am just writing to make you be aware of what a superb encounter my friend's princess found reading your site. She picked up such a lot of details, most notably what it's like to possess an incredible coaching nature to make other people just grasp chosen specialized matters. You really did more than my expected results.
    cash for cars brisbane
    cash for cars north brisbane

    ReplyDelete